Saturday, October 3, 2009

Ring Sling Baby Carrier

I have been making lots of ring slings since I re-took up sewing. I love ring slings, their simplicity (to use and to make) and their versatility. I make them with a simple pleated shoulder, which makes them comfortable to wear and easy to use, and I add a decorative and useful contrast panel on the tail of the sling. This panel has a pocket included in the centre, which you can use if you want to or leave if you just like the fabric the panel is made of. The corners on the bottom of the tail is rounded, which makes it fall nicely when worn.

This one is made of Dupioni Silk - a lovely fabric for ring slings! It's strong, breathable, fabulous looking and easy to care for!


This one is made from 100% linen, a similarly great fabric for ring slings! This photo shows the panel and pocket. For this one I experimented with a different shoulder, but I wasn't that fond of it and went back to the pleated sholder


And then there's a double layered cotton sling




I have gathered inspiration from different places and come up with the design that I find most comfortable to wear, pretty and useful. Inspirations include:

  • Slyngebarn (Danish Website)

  • and
  • Sleeping Baby Productions (US website)



  • Sleeping Baby Productions has some great information on how to make your own sling, and I encourage you to do so! I have used Janet's information, but I have changed the way I pleat my slings a bit to something I find better to wear. But that's all down to personal preference, really. I have created the panel and the pocket myself, as I find that they add something unique and useful to each sling - and that makes each of my slings completely unique.

    1 comment: